Aspen CRM Solutions has an opening for a single position for a drone pilot/archaeology crew member. The position is in support of cultural resource survey, site documentation, and report preparation for a variety of Section 106 and Section 110 projects on federal, state, and private land in New Mexico, and of aerial mapping and photogrammetry for CRM and other industries.
The company has an existing UAV (drone) program that it wishes to expand with additional clients, particularly cultural resource managers but also those in the natural resource, solar energy, and other fields. The successful applicant will have the skills necessary to take the program the next step, including self-motivation, the ability to work well both independently and as a member of a team, an interest in and drive to stay up to date on new technology, and the ability and initiative to successfully market the program and generate new clients. The applicate should have:
- Familiarity with fixed wing and rotary crafts (we fly a Firefly6 Pro, a DJI Matrice 600 Pro, and an Inspire 1 Pro)
- Familiarity with drone flying software, preferably with terrain awareness (we use Ground Station Pro, Maps Made Easy, Pix4D Capture, UGCS, and others)
- Familiarity with imagery processing and photogrammetry software (we use Pix4D)
- Familiarity with image editing software (e.g., Photoshop)
- An FAA Section 107 UAV pilot’s certification or the willingness to obtain one within three months
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Familiarity with the cultural resources of New Mexico
- Familiarity with archaeological survey processes, including navigation using GPS and/or compass, site and feature documentation, GPS data collection, artifact recording, and photography
- Ability to traverse rough terrain in a variety of weather conditions in remote locations for extended periods
- Ability to travel frequently for extended periods and willingness to camp occasionally during fieldwork sessions
- Familiarity with GIS/GPS technologies and ability to read/use topographic maps, compasses, etc.
- Skills with cultural resource site documentation (both LA and HCPI forms)
- Artifact identification and age/use interpretation (knowledge of New Mexico pottery types preferred)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software, very good research and writing abilities
The position is full time and based in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Compensation is contingent on experience and skills. Every effort will be made to supply full time employment, but periodic furloughs may be necessary due to the pandemic. Applicants should submit a current resume, references, and writing sample to email@example.com.